Selecting All-League

Boys High School Competition
ebb&flow
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, parent, rec player

Re: Selecting All-League

Postby ebb&flow » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:42 pm

The papers usually wait until everyone has had their banquets.

thesupernuge
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach etc

Postby thesupernuge » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Other than the Sunset league are there any others posted?

Valkyrie
How are you connected to water polo?: Scouting Report

Postby Valkyrie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:24 am

I've seen none posted, except as in the Pacific League, an article talking about specific players from CDM. You would think
schools would contact OCVarsity/Daily Pilot with All-League details. Shame for not giving players recognition.
thesupernuge wrote:Other than the Sunset league are there any others posted?

thefilter
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby thefilter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:27 pm

TRINITY LEAGUE

ALL LEAGUE BOYS WATERPOLO

2016-2017

MOST VALUABLE -Ash Molthen Orange Lutheran Junior

FIRST TEAM SCHOOL YEAR
Ash Molthen Orange Lutheran 11
Hannes Daube Orange Lutheran 11
Parker Killion Orange Lutheran 12
Matt Kacura Orange Lutheran 11
*** Mater Dei 11
Christian Hockenbury Mater Dei 12
Noah Hodge Santa Margarita 11
Brock Petersen Santa Margarita 11
Guillermo Ocasio Servite 9
Elliott Bergerson St. John Bosco 12
Luke Prendiville JSerra 12

SECOND TEAM SCHOOL YEAR
Josh Orrick Orange Lutheran 12
Sam Sasaki Orange Lutheran 11
Jake Simmons Orange Lutheran 12
Ian Minsterman Mater Dei 10
Billy Motherway Mater Dei 11
Chase Petersen Santa Margarita 11
AJ Rossman Santa Margarita 11
Brian McGee S Servite 12
Jon Lien Servite 11
William Roffers St. John Bosco 12
Angel Sanchez JSerra 10

Congratulations to All!!
Last edited by thefilter on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdgarAllanPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: I'm just a Polo boy from a Polo family.

Postby EdgarAllanPolo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:14 pm

Looks like the automatic name blocking rules are still in place even if said player is getting accolades.

Appears to be an awesome group - even without "***"
Last edited by EdgarAllanPolo on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the nature of truth in general, as of some ores in particular, to be richest when most superficial."

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:36 pm

EdgarAllanPolo wrote:Looks like the automatic name blocking rules are still in place even if said player is getting accolades.

Appears to be an awesome team - even without "***"

What is the purpose of the name blocking? What am I missing?

EdgarAllanPolo

Postby EdgarAllanPolo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
EdgarAllanPolo wrote:Looks like the automatic name blocking rules are still in place even if said player is getting accolades.

Appears to be an awesome team - even without "***"

What is the purpose of the name blocking? What am I missing?

There are parents who have a standing order with WPP to block their child's name from ever being mentioned in any post.
"It is the nature of truth in general, as of some ores in particular, to be richest when most superficial."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:13 am

When a parent sends a threat to pursue legal action to us for the use of their minor childs name, we have no choice.

We do the best we can to moderate all posts, but very often, our idea of a "good" post is different than the parents idea of a "good" post. We have had instances where parents have sent an attorney letter because a poster understated their childs effect on a game outcome. It is impossible to moderate this.

Once we receive the threat of a legal action, the childs name is automatically blocked from ALL mentions.

If anyone has a better idea of how this can be managed 24/7/365, I am more than happy to listen.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:50 am

I had a parent threaten me with legal action because I described a game scenario where two players, who went unnamed, were yanked out by their coach for losing their cool. He claimed that "anyone who was there will know who you are talking about, and it will affect recruiting". The way I figure it, anyone who was there already would know what happened.

Every sport has its crazy parents. I had one call me late at night to yell at me because I told her 13 year old son there is no way to know how tall he is going to get (he was about 5'5" at the time), but it's possible to make an educated guess by looking at the parents height (they are 6 foot and 5'8" respectively). He was insisting he is going to be 6"5" and only wanted to train as a center, which is why I made the comment. She said I have no right to tell a kid how tall he is going to be. When I told her I didn't tell him how tall he is going to be, I just said there is not way to know and he should not focus only on being a center, she yelled louder and said I have no right to decide where he should play. When I said that is my job as his coach, she said she would ensure I was not his coach.

A parent should definitely be an advocate for his/her child, but some go way overboard. You cannot reason with them, so you either ignore them or remove them from your life.

As far as the forum - if the laws have not changed in the past 10 years or so, when you choose to moderate content then you are liable for it. If you do not moderate it, you are not liable for any content.

EdgarAllanPolo

Postby EdgarAllanPolo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Moderator wrote:When a parent sends a threat to pursue legal action to us for the use of their minor childs name, we have no choice.

We do the best we can to moderate all posts, but very often, our idea of a "good" post is different than the parents idea of a "good" post. We have had instances where parents have sent an attorney letter because a poster understated their childs effect on a game outcome. It is impossible to moderate this.

Once we receive the threat of a legal action, the childs name is automatically blocked from ALL mentions.

If anyone has a better idea of how this can be managed 24/7/365, I am more than happy to listen.

Oh, I 100% understand. The safest action is to block when crazy parents are involved. :roll:

The shame of this (and I guess I'm at fault for calling it out to begin with, and for that I'm truly sorry) is that it has taken away from what should be the positive accolades on making All-League teams.

So, to get this back on track (if possible),
CONGRATS TO ALL PLAYERS BEING RECOGNIZED! IT IS A HUGE HONOR.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm

EdgarAllanPolo wrote:Oh, I 100% understand. The safest action is to block when crazy parents are involved. :roll:
.[/size][/b]

My bad for not putting a notice up about how we handle this stuff before now.

Many parents ask us to delete threads or make sure that no one "speaks badly" about their kids...but "speaking badly" is very subjective. Most of the things parents complain about, I have seen and let go...so obviously, I don't see them as a problem. One issue that arises is when a kid gets a red card. Red cards are public knowledge...anyone with a copy of the scoresheet can see them. Many parents will ask me to delete the post because their son/daughter did not deserve the red card and/or the referee was wrong. Lose/lose.

The only safe thing to do is to block a players name completely to ensure that NOTHING slips through the cracks. In the past 12 years, we have only had to do this 10 times or so- and anyone whose name is blocked can ask me to "unblock" them once they turn 18. I am more than happy to do so.

Valkyrie
How are you connected to water polo?: Scouting Report

Postby Valkyrie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:22 am

Anyone who watches Trinity League games knows number 17. If you play HS sports you sign off that your image, name, picture, video can be used in the public domain. Hence, don't see the legal argument against posting names in a public forum as the player/parent signed the waiver. Seems that there is something going on at MD, as not one player received any press in the local papers Daily Pilot or Orange County Register. Too many coaches are interfering with "Reporters" constitutional right to ("Free speech") let alone report what transpired at the game or even the stats. These reporters are also told by "certain coaches" not to let "parents" report scores, stats or human interest stories. I think it has gone way too far with coaches "censuring" the rights of third parties to affirm their right to speak and disseminate information.

Noticed the OC Varsity reporter who gives the best Water Polo coverage for any city/county pleading with coaches to report stats in a recent article for the Girls Water Polo season. I think it is in the best interest of the sport, schools, athletes, coaches to get accolades and improve the dissemination of information not only for players, fans but also college coaches who can't attend games. Isn't the point of K-12 education to help young people to improve their lot in life and/or get into college.

Return to “High School BOYS”