WPP update

Whats new on Water Polo Planet and where you can find it
Site Admin

WPP update

Postby Moderator » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:06 pm

As you can see from our Home Page, WPP is undergoing some changes.

Primarily, our very beloved Richard "Doc" Hunkler will be retiring from his full time job here at WPP. Doc was one of the pioneers of Water Polo in the United States, spending many years as a full professor and Head Coach of Slipper Rock University (mens and womens teams). After his retirement from Slippery Rock, Doc became a major part of Water Polo Planet. In very short order, Doc became the undisputed heart and soul of the site, from soliciting articles from coaches, and stimulating discussion on the message board to rewriting all of the website code single handedly.

Water Polo Planet was founded in 2002 as an "Alternative Voice" to NGB's throughout the world. For the past 14 years, Doc dedicated 60+ hours a week toward the goal of growing our sport. He drove WPP to providing free access to information that has helped us all become more knowledgeable coaches, players and fans. Doc believed that coaching information could not be secret- and that by pooling and sharing information, he could continue to help grow the sport.

I would argue that his efforts have been a rousing success. Several generations of players, parents, fans and coaches have benefited from his efforts and have come to love the sport as Doc has for over 60 years.

WPP has some new partners coming in to help with the site- there will be a new web design appearing in early December but all of the current content will be preserved (as will the message board). The first article will be a tribute to Doc Hunkler to share his work of the past 14 years.

Please join me in thanking Coach Richard "Doc" Hunkler, PhD. for his 60 years of commitment to building a better Water Polo Planet for our sport.

ebb&flow
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, parent, rec player

Re: WPP update

Postby ebb&flow » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:39 pm

A HUGE thank you to Doc for ALl of his contributions to water polo!

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Though I've only been a participant for a few years, I have benefited a great deal from the content here. Thank you Doc.

luvthegame

Postby luvthegame » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks Doc! All of your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Doru Roll
How are you connected to water polo?: player, fan, referee

Postby Doru Roll » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Doc,

There are few people in this world who can say they contributed as much to the sport of water polo as you did; the difference is that you will never say it. We can never thank you enough for what you did for the sport, for WPP, and for some of us individually. There practically isn't a tournament where I don't run into some of your former players, too numerous to mention here, and the one recurring theme is how grateful they all are for everything that you did for them. I have never met you in person, but over the past six years I've grown to feel like I've known you all my life, and I'm looking forward to the day I finally get to shake your hand.

An ancient Hindu proverb says: "He who knows all things but teaches no one lives but one life. He who knows one thing but teaches another lives one hundred-hundred lives." We may never know how many lives you've really lived, Doc.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, which hopefully will also include retirement someday. God bless.

Your friend,
Doru
Last edited by Doru Roll on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

stickman

Postby stickman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:06 am

Thanks Doc.
We've butted heads a time or two, but I always respect you and your opinions.
Thanks to you and the others who've volunteered their time, I've had the opportunity to both contribute to and benefit from Water Polo Planet.
I truly appreciate your efforts as a coach and an embassdor of Water Polo.

Allen Lorentzen
How are you connected to water polo?: Referee, fan, past Coastal Zone head referee, past WPA instructor, masters player, past coach, occasional water polo photographer

Postby Allen Lorentzen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:08 am

Thanks, Doc, for all your contributions to the world of water polo. Greatly appreciated!

Return to “New News and Posts”