USAWP Pool - Irvine progress?

Whats new on Water Polo Planet and where you can find it
Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

USAWP Pool - Irvine progress?

Postby Rational » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:19 pm

Anybody know anything? There's not much info out there - Ramsey seemed to survive the $13.85 million sex abuse payout because he secured this pool in Irvine.

Is it kaput?
https://voiceofoc.org/2022/02/what-happ ... o-complex/

OCPoloDad

Re: USAWP Pool - Irvine progress?

Postby OCPoloDad » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am

For those who don't know; The Great Park in Irvine is the decommissioned El Toro Marine Corps Air Station and there are 4682 acres. Several thoughts on the USAWP pool and "would build a home for the USA Olympic Water Polo team in the heart of the city. The facility was set to include Olympic class swimming pools"

1) Woolett Aquatics Center (Swimming & Polo) is just down the street with 2 stadiums for the 2 main 50M pools; is it necessary?
2) The Marguerite Aquatic Center (50M Olympic pool & Olympic diving pool) underwent a renovation in 2018 and is 15 minutes down the freeway, is it necessary?
3) Just outside the Orange County line is Mt San Antonio College with its soon to be completed Aquatic Complex with Olympic Pool and a 2500 seating capacity; is it necessary?
3) Has the USAWP Pool been trumped by a cricket stadium? https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com/cr ... MLC%20team.

The only reason I can guess at is USAWP wants larger capacity seating than one gets at Wollett or Mt Sac and wants its own Brand as opposed to sharing venues. To me, it's a waste of money.

Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rational » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 pm

"Waste of money" - I don't know. The National team trains 5-6 hours a day when they're going full time. You can maybe share a pool with one other entity, but to ask the National team to slide into Woolett's "free time" (Concordia, Irvine HS, Swim team, etc) is a bridge too far. I don't doubt the need for a dedicated pool / training center (Los Al is a dump, Women's Nat'l team has been at LBCC recently) - what I doubt is how Ramsey paraded the announcement of the pool as his crown jewel accomplishment, especially during the Bahram abuse case.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:40 am

Rational wrote:"Waste of money" - I don't know. The National team trains 5-6 hours a day when they're going full time. You can maybe share a pool with one other entity, but to ask the National team to slide into Woolett's "free time" (Concordia, Irvine HS, Swim team, etc) is a bridge too far. I don't doubt the need for a dedicated pool / training center (Los Al is a dump, Women's Nat'l team has been at LBCC recently) - what I doubt is how Ramsey paraded the announcement of the pool as his crown jewel accomplishment, especially during the Bahram abuse case.

As mentioned, USAWP may want its own Brand as opposed to sharing venues, or IE its own training/competition pool. I do find it interesting about the Cricket Stadium (the local demographics and cricket?) and its impact on the future of the USAWP pool. USAWP would have pitched an excellent sales presentation along the lines of the cricket stadium personnel to close this deal. There is/was a lot of land, which already included 5 community pools and a High School with a 50M pool. Yes, Woollett is a very active aquatics complex. As you state, the timing on the announcement of this was suspect.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:38 pm

So I feel a little more informed after doing some research: Appears to be caught up in red tape per below as of recent; "environmental impacts" and resides within the "Planning & Future Development" section. It appears to be some time before we see any forward movement of construction.

Sports Facilities: this project adds two new sports facilities – a water polo and community pool facility and a field house for indoor basketball and volleyball training and competitions – and a new centrally located parking structure to serve the western side of the Great Park. These improvements were approved in concept by the Orange County Great Park Board and City Council on October 22, 2019. An addendum to the Orange County Great Park is being prepared to analyze the environmental impacts from the proposal. This project is in design phase and is estimated to cost $250 million.

https://www.cityofirvine.org/great-park ... evelopment

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:12 pm

As of yesterday
https://voiceofoc.org/2022/07/new-proje ... and-lakes/

The plan also reaffirmed that the city was still planning on bringing USA Water Polo to the park with a new aquatics center to serve as the team’s training headquarters.

While the project was brought forward in 2019, with plans to present building plans to the public in 2020, those plans were never brought forward, and there’s been almost no news on the project since.

There wasn’t any update on how the project would be paid for in the staff report, but when the idea was last presented to the city council, the aquatics center’s $250 million price tag was set to be paid by homeowner’s special taxes.

UpperRightCorner
How are you connected to water polo?: Used to play high school and college. Still play once in a while. Watch a ton on TV.

Postby UpperRightCorner » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:53 am

Rational wrote:"Waste of money" - I don't know. The National team trains 5-6 hours a day when they're going full time. You can maybe share a pool with one other entity, but to ask the National team to slide into Woolett's "free time" (Concordia, Irvine HS, Swim team, etc) is a bridge too far. I don't doubt the need for a dedicated pool / training center (Los Al is a dump, Women's Nat'l team has been at LBCC recently) - what I doubt is how Ramsey paraded the announcement of the pool as his crown jewel accomplishment, especially during the Bahram abuse case.

The National Team is OUR National team! They should get first dibs at a respectable facility, such as Woollett. All other programs at Woollett should be secondary. Yes, Los Al Military Base is a true dump and an embarrassment. It's a hand-me-down. Right now, it's good for third rate events, at best! Our players deserve the best-- we're putting our best in front of the world. And when other national teams come here, we need a respectable venue. But $250M is big pill to swallow for the tax payer. Irvine is a very diversified culture. Not every family, and homeowner understands nor appreciates water polo, to justify a $250M note.
Ramsey seems to always take credit for everything...it's in his DNA. You can see him naming the $250M aquatics center as The Chris Ramsey Aquatics Center (The CRAC).
With that said, I still want to know how a Godzilla size settlement was reached right "after" a petition to remove Ramsey as CEO? Coincidence? Moreover, while Ramsey and his Senior Director Sicard were also getting, why didn't SafeSport suspend these executives? Are these executives held to a different standard than the rest of the water polo community? Are they above the law? Why protect them if they were involved in a coverup? Maybe SafeSport knew something that non of us didn't--or entitled to! Is SafeSport covering something else up by protecting them? Tell me if any of it makes sense.
Attorney Stewart stated in an interview: leaders at USA Water Polo failed to inform law enforcement at the time — as they had a duty to under California law and the SafeSport code. Oh boy-- California law! Is that what they say about being a "Mandated Reporter"? Then why didn't these executives get arrested for breaking the law? Or, is being a mandated reporter just a title?--Then we better let all our teachers, firefighters, and many divisions of our law enforcement know that don't bother reporting, nothing will happen to you.
https://mynbc15.com/news/nation-world/w ... settlement

UpperRightCorner
How are you connected to water polo?: Used to play high school and college. Still play once in a while. Watch a ton on TV.

Postby UpperRightCorner » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:13 pm

The National Team is OUR National team! They should get first dibs at a respectable facility, such as Woollett. All other programs at Woollett should be secondary. Yes, Los Al Military Base is a true dump and an embarrassment. It's a hand-me-down. Right now, it's good for third rate events, at best! Our players deserve the best-- we're putting our best in front of the world. And when other national teams come here, we need a respectable venue. But $250M is big pill to swallow for the tax payer. Irvine is a very diversified culture. Not every family, and homeowner understands nor appreciates water polo, to justify a $250M note.
Ramsey seems to always take credit for everything...it's in his DNA. You can see him naming the $250M aquatics center as The Chris Ramsey Aquatics Center (The CRAC).
With that said, I still want to know how a Godzilla size settlement was reached right "after" a petition to remove Ramsey as CEO? Coincidence? Moreover, while Ramsey and his Senior Director Sicard were also getting sued, why didn't SafeSport suspend these executives? Are these executives held to a different standard than the rest of the water polo community? Are they above the law? Why protect them if they were involved in a coverup? Maybe SafeSport knew something that non of us didn't--or entitled to! Is SafeSport covering something else up by protecting them? Tell me if any of it makes sense.
Attorney Stewart stated in an interview: leaders at USA Water Polo failed to inform law enforcement at the time — as they had a duty to under California law and the SafeSport code. Oh boy-- California law! Is that what they say about being a "Mandated Reporter"? Then why didn't these executives get arrested for breaking the law? Or, is being a mandated reporter just a title?--Then we better let all our teachers, firefighters, and many divisions of our law enforcement know that don't bother reporting, nothing will happen to you.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:11 pm

UpperRightCorner wrote: The National Team is OUR National team! They should get first dibs at a respectable facility, such as Woollett. All other programs at Woollett should be secondary. Yes, Los Al Military Base is a true dump and an embarrassment. It's a hand-me-down. Right now, it's good for third rate events, at best! Our players deserve the best-- we're putting our best in front of the world. And when other national teams come here, we need a respectable venue. But $250M is big pill to swallow for the tax payer. Irvine is a very diversified culture. Not every family, and homeowner understands nor appreciates water polo, to justify a $250M note.

The city of Irvine oversees Woollett so they dictate the rules, and I would think their argument would be that the residents of Irvine are their constituency; Lap Swim, Recreation Swim, Water Aerobics, along with the others Rational mentions. Yes, not sure a majority of residents would favor a tax to fund but maybe the City can find the funds elsewhere. They are a very financially sound City.

ole'gauchos
How are you connected to water polo?: Boys play(ed) Div 1/2 ball

Postby ole'gauchos » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm

UpperRightCorner wrote:

With that said, I still want to know how a Godzilla size settlement was reached right "after" a petition to remove Ramsey as CEO? Coincidence? Moreover, while Ramsey and his Senior Director Sicard were also getting sued, why didn't SafeSport suspend these executives? Are these executives held to a different standard than the rest of the water polo community? Are they above the law? Why protect them if they were involved in a coverup? Maybe SafeSport knew something that non of us didn't--or entitled to! Is SafeSport covering something else up by protecting them? Tell me if any of it makes sense.

lmfao dude, love the "CRAC" stadium for Ramsey.. bada-bing!

PoloEagle22
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, former coach, former player

Postby PoloEagle22 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:31 pm

UpperRightCorner wrote:

It already doesn't matter if you report something; Safe Sport will do a cursory investigation and school districts will listen to the coach so nothing happens... :sad:

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:25 pm

PoloEagle22 wrote:
UpperRightCorner wrote:

It already doesn't matter if you report something; Safe Sport will do a cursory investigation and school districts will listen to the coach so nothing happens... :sad:

We can't fall into that trap. Yes a lot of reporting probably gets ignored, but if you or anybody knows about something really improper going on with any kid, you have to report it and follow up on it, and stay on top of it. Harrass them. Become their worst nightmare, and specially go to your local newspaper reporter. Or copy that person in every email you send. The kids deserve this from us.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:27 am

Update as of yesterday:

After years of on-and-off discussions with USA Water Polo over building an aquatics center at the Great Park, Irvine leaders are exploring a partnership between the city and the Irvine-based organization that inches plans for a new water facility closer to reality.

The City Council on Tuesday approved a partnership agreement with USA Water Polo, the nation’s governing body for the sport, which would give the organization use of a certain portion of the aquatics facility and priority scheduling if the city decides to go through with plans for its construction.

The facility, which city officials aim to develop on about 5 acres in the western sector of the Great Park, is estimated to cost between $50 million and $80 million, City Manager Oliver Chi said.

Under the partnership agreement, USA Water Polo would pay $12 million toward construction of the venue and get exclusive use of 10,000 square feet of it for its offices, classrooms and locker rooms. While scheduling the organization’s events would be prioritized, their use of the facility would be capped at around 25% to 30% of the total operating hours of the facility.

Chi said “nothing about this agreement sets anything in stone per se, but it provides the staff with direction as it relates to how we should be thinking about designing this facility moving ahead.”

The City Council voted 4-1 in favor of the agreement. Council member Larry Agran, who cast the only no-vote, expressed concern over the exclusivity of USA Water Polo’s use of an eventual facility, wary that the agreement would spurn the needs of residents wanting to use the pools for recreation.

Return to “New News and Posts”